Tuesday 3 August 2010

Beautiful Sasha

Sadly, Sasha was put to sleep yesterday after a brief violent struggle with illness. She very quickly deteriorated over a few weeks and so the kindest thing to do was to let her go over the Rainbow Bridge. Her family and all who knew her are deeply saddened. 

I first met Sasha when I first started working in the pub where she lived, The Square and Compasses in Great Shelford. She stood at the top of the stairs and I at the bottom. She took one look at me and growled, as if to say, "I don't know you, what do you want?". After this initial meeting she became friendlier and would sit behind the bar at the end of a shift and lean on me as if the weight of the world on her shoulders, waiting for silky ears to be stroked or I would chase her and Tina around the big round table in the lower bar. 

She was a beautiful quirky dog who loved nothing more than to eat a bar mat or bark out of the window at people passing underneath.  I have seen her scare a great many "big men" in the pub with a single woof, pulling chairs in front of them as shields when she paused to say hello to them. She was not by any means aggressive, she was just very large! She made whoever worked behind the bar feel totally safe, knowing that upstairs lay several stone of solidness who could be called upon to stand by your side should you need her. Luckily these occasions were extremely infrequent, she was just good for moral support.
I will miss her so much, I hope she is laying by a river somewhere in the sunshine, barking at ducks and swans or perhaps chasing rabbits through a field. Goodnight my girl, I'll never forget you. x

0 comments: